History of The Alex

Line drawing of The AlexThe Alexandra Hotel was the birthplace of Derby branch of CAMRA (The Campaign for Real Ale) in 1974.

The Alex' was built around 1890 and is named after the Danish princess who married the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) in 1863.

We haven't always been the Alexandra opening as "the Midland Coffee House" serving the local railway workers. Since then we were a Shipstones tied house until closed for demolition in 1987.

Since being saved and owned by Castle Rock, the bar is adorned with railway memorabilia, the lounge with breweriana to remind us of the heritage around.

The pub was the birthplace of Derby CAMRA in 1974 and has won several awards including Derby CAMRA City Pub of the Year - runner up in 2011.